Thursday, May 1, 2014

Preliminary Photos and Soaking Swarthmore In



Well this morning I went on a walk up and down Swarthmore to take some preliminary photos of the street, and scout out possible spots for the weekly pictures during the overhaul by Caruso Affiliated. I will be using a different (better) camera for the weekly shots - this was more of a scouting expedition.




I will work to find a spot/lens combination that will give a good overview of the street from across the way on Sunset. From looking today, I think I will bring a step ladder with me to get a higher point of view for this type of shot.



The corner of Monument and Swarthmore. This will be interesting to observe. There are several empty spaces here now. Also, this faces a residential area. Is this the end of the road? Or another inviting entrance?

The middle sections of the street.

I have considered doing the weekly shots in the morning (for the gorgeous morning light) and for more unobstructed views (as there are usually fewer cars blocking the view). However, people are curious as to how business will be impacted while this is taking place. It may be interesting to take the photos midday, taking in the absence or presence of pedestrians, shoppers, diners, and workers.

My office at Rodeo Realty on Via de la Paz is so close to Swarthmore, I am also considering going over twice a week. Once in the morning for the light and the unobstructed views. Those photos would probably make the best time lapse before and after. Then going back mid day and taking an inventory of how many businesses are open, busy, closed, etc.





Two empty stores. It will be interesting to see if the vacant stores stay vacant until after the renovation. My guess is that they will. Of course, if that changes, I will post on this blog and let you know.





Here are two pictures of the City Bank end of the street. One of the most interesting things that happened today while I was out was the sideways glances of people that noticed I was taking photos. A few people said hello, and smiled. Others had an air of distrust in their eyes. It will be interesting to see if that changes. I would like to become friends with the business owners on the street as this evolves, and plan on highlighting different businesses on the blog.

Yesterday was my son Nolan's 18th birthday. He loves the Cheesecake Factory, and the location at the Americana was the best for everyone attending the birthday dinner. After dinner, we all hung out around the fountains. My 11 year old was mesmerized by the dancing fountains, and turned to the rest of us and said, "Wouldn't this be an amazing pool?"

I realized that Caruso's goal of creating an area where families and friends are able to hang out comfortably with each other had been achieved in that moment. It was late. It was a school and work night. People had to get back to Santa Monica, Silver Lake, and LA. But instead of jumping in our cars and driving off, we stayed for awhile, enjoying each others company, lingering.

Will he be able to create a space that draws people in and holds them there? Will he be able to create this transformation minimizing any negatives on the current business owners and nearby residents? This remains to be seen. One thing is certain....we will all find out one way or another.


No comments:

Post a Comment